Make mathematics fun and satisfying for everyone
Math can be a living source of powerful ideas that transcend mathematics; a window into mind-opening philosophical concepts such as infinity, fourth dimensions, chaos, and fractals; and a practical training ground for developing skills in analysis, reasoning, and thought—if you have the right approach and the right guide.
The Heart of Mathematics: An Invitation to Effective Thinking—now in its third edition—transforms mathematics into an engaging, relevant experience even for the most math-phobic student. Infusing this book with humor and enthusiasm, Edward B. Burger and Michael Starbird—both recipients of the Mathematical Association of America’s foremost national teaching award and countless state, regional, and campus-wide teaching honors—introduce students to the most important and interesting ideas in mathematics while inspiring them to actively engage in mathematical thinking.
Richer and more rewarding than ever, this new edition features:
- An emphasis on mathematical methods of investigation
- Visualization techniques that make key concepts easier to understand
- Accessible, friendly writing style that encourages critical thinking
- “Life Lessons”-effective methods of thinking that students will retain and apply beyond the classroom
- End of section Mindscape activities for the development of application, problem-solving, and argumentation skills